A Houston Lawyer For Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims

Were you hurt by an uninsured driver? Texas has one of the highest number of people driving without insurance. An estimated 20% of drivers on Texas roads don’t have insurance, according to the Texas Department of Insurance.  Even though you are legally required to purchase and maintain liability insurance many Texans do not. So, if you were hit by an uninsured driver let’s go over your options.

What Is Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

When you ask most people about their car insurance they usually say “well I have liability only” or “I have full coverage”. But most people have no idea what “full coverage” really means. Insurance is complicated and unless your work in the business you might not understand what “full coverage” is all about.

Buried in all the paper work your car insurance company sends you is a page called the “declarations page”. It is a listing of the types of insurance coverage you have and the limits of liability per person and per occurrence. What you are looking for are the magic words “Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage”. You have to pay extra for this type of coverage. BUT, if you do have it and you are hit and hurt by an uninsured driver you can make a claim with your own insurance company to pay your damages related to your injury. In the legal and insurance world this type of insurance is called “UM/UIM”, short for uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

Here is how it works for uninsured motorist coverage. Say the value of your personal injury claim is $30,000, If the at-fault driver had insurance you could ask them for a settlement of $30,000. But if the at-fault driver did not have insurance and you did have UM/UIM coverage you can demand your own insurance company pay you $30,000 to settle your claim.

Well, what about underinsured motorist coverage? Say the value of your claim is $60,000. You make a demand to the at-fault driver’s car insurance company to settle your personal injury claim for $60,000. They respond that there is only $30,000 in liability coverage for the at-fault driver. “But my claim is worth $60,000”, you say. Don’t worry. You can settle the claim with the at-fault driver’s car insurance for $30,000. Remember you have to get written permission from your own auto carrier to settle that claim before you sign any Releases. One you get written permission to settle the first part of the claim, then you can demand that your own insurance company pay the remaining $30,000 under your “Underinsured Motorist Coverage”

“Sounds confusing? Yes it is until you handle a hundred or more of these claims then it starts to makes sense” says Hugh Howerton. The big takeaway is that you should always buy UM/UIM coverage to protect yourself and your family. Buy as much as you can afford. There are so many uninsured drivers out there you do not want to be a victim in case you are in a car accident with one of them.


Why You Should Hire A Uninsured/UnderInsured Motorist Accident Attorney?

Dealing with one insurance companies is tough but dealing with two is down right exhausting. Unless you know the business, know how to place the right value for your claim and know how to negotiate with insurance companies and your own health insurance company it is most every time better for you to hire a lawyer who know how to handle uninsured/underinsured motorist claim. These are personal injury lawyers who also help you make claims against the other at-fault driver’s insurance company.


Why Hire Hugh Howerton as your Uninsured/UnderInsured Motorist Accident Lawyer

Voted one of the top 100 Texas trial lawyers every year since 2011 Hugh Howerton has handled uninsured/underinsured motorist claims for 30 years. He will personally handle your case from start to finish. He will sit down with you at the beginning of the case and explain the whole legal process, the timeline involved and tell you what to expect.


Contact Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Accident Lawyer Hugh Howerton

For a free no-obligation and free consultation call 713.822.8904