I have been a Houston truck accident lawyer for nearly thirty years. A truck accident lawyer is a personal injury lawyer that specializes in trucking accidents and represents victims injured or killed by the negligence of a commercial 18-wheeler semi truck or other large commercial trucks. These personal injury lawyers have special skill, training and experience to handle a complex personal injury or wrongful death claim or lawsuit involving 18-wheeler trucks. If you or a loved one was the victim of a trucking accident please carefully research the credentials and experience with trucking cases with any lawyer you are consider hiring. Let me give you some tips on what to do and what NOT to do.
How To Pick A Houston Truck Accident Lawyer
- Client Reviews
Does the lawyer you are considering have good client reviews. How were their clients treated? What kind of results did the lawyer get for them? Do the reviews seem like real client reviews or just made up. Yes, sadly that can happen.
- Board Certified and AV RatedLook for a lawyer that is Board Certified in Personal Injury Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. This means that they are recognized by the State Bar of Texas as being a specialist in personal injury cases. Less than 3% of all lawyers in Texas are Board Certified in Personal Injury Law. Does the personal injury lawyer have an AV rating? This is the highest rating awarded a U.S. attorney by the prestigious Martindale-Hubbell legal directory. It is an extensive qualification process.
- Experience Winning Truck Accident CasesDoes the lawyer have experience winning complex trucking cases. What kind of settlement or verdict did they get for their past clients. You want a truck accident lawyer that has previously handled and won a big and serious truck accident case.
- Do You Feel Comfortable With The Lawyer
I can’t stress this enough. In your initial conversation with the lawyer do you get the gut feeling they have your best interests at heart. If you feel they want to represent you just for the money they will make stay far away. You do not want this type of lawyer.
Avoid These Lawyers
- Any lawyer that contacts you first about your trucking accident that you do not know. This is an ambulance chaser and it is against the law. Sometimes, these dirty lawyers use other people to call you. Do not fall for this trick.
- Any lawyer that offers you money to sign up with them as a client. Sadly, this happens and it’s not right.
- Any lawyer who does not know about the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. This is the lead federal government agency responsible for regulating and providing safety oversight of commercial motor vehicles. There are certain federal rules that govern truck drivers and trucking companies. You lawyer MUST know these rules. If they do not, then they don’t have the experience and knowledge to handle a serious trucking accident.