I Was Hit By A Drunk Driver – I Need A Lawyer
If you were hit by a drunk driver and need a lawyer there are things you can do to protect yourself and receive compensation for your losses. Many times insurance companies want to settle these cases because juries may award punitive damages against the drunk driver to punish them for driving drunk.
Each day, almost 30 people die in car accidents caused by drunk drivers. In 2013, 10,076 people were killed and 290,000 were injured in drunk driving crashes, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Sadly only 1% of the 112 million self-reported episodes of alcohol impaired driving of U.S. adults have resulted in arrests, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) fact sheet.
Here are things you should do:
1. If you are involved in a car accident with a drunk driver immediately call the police.
2. Do not argue with the drunk driver.
3. Seek medical attention immediately.
4. Get the drunk driver’s license plate, insurance company name, insurance company policy number and drivers license number.
5. If you are unable to work make sure you have a doctor’s excuse for every day you can’t work.
6. Hire a personal injury lawyer that specializes in drunk driver accident cases.
7. Get a copy of the police accident report. Make sure the officer who investigated your accident gives you the incident number of report number for the accident report. You will usually need this number to get a copy of the police accident report.
Need more information or help
If you have any questions contact personal injury lawyer Hugh Howerton at 713.984.9848 .