Houston Dog Bite Lawyer
A Houston dog bite lawyer can help after a dog attack. Voted TOP 100 Texas trial lawyers Hugh Howerton has never lost a dog bite case. He can work to recover medical bills, lost wages and compensation for pain and suffering and scarring caused by a dog attack.
If the dog owner had home owners insurance then you may be able to make a claim against the insurance company to recover your losses. Dog can be loyal pets but sometimes people do not treat dogs well and they become aggressive. There are leash laws that require a dog owner to keep their dog restrained.
If you or a loved one was seriously hurt in a dog attack call Hugh Howerton at 713.984.9848 for a free consultation.
Dog bite facts
1. There are about 70 million dogs in the U.S.A. and 4.5 million people are bitten every year.
2. In 2013 one third of all home owner insurance claims involved aggressive canines
3. 359,223 children under 14 were bitten between 2010-2012
4 66% of children under 4 years of age were bitten to their head and neck
5. In 2013 there were 31 dog bite related deaths
What is a Houston dog bite lawyer?
A Houston dog bite lawyer is a personal injury lawyer who specializes in cases involving dog attacks. This type of lawyer represents the injured victim. Many times a claim can be made against the dog owner’s home insurance carrier. A dog bite lawyer can represent you in a claim or lawsuit against the dog owner and their insurance company.
If the dog owner had homeowner’s insurance coverage it may pay you money to compensate you for your injuries, medical bill, pain, disfigurement and lost wages.
How can a Houston dog bite lawyer win my case?
In Texas there are several ways. First if the dog owner was negligent in the handling of their dog. Second, if the dog had dangerous propensities that the owner knew before you were attacked. For example, if the dog had bitten someone before your attack.
However, just because you are bit by a dog does make the owners automatically liable for your injuries. Many times a dog owner’s home insurance carrier will pay the damages in these kind of cases.
What to do after a dog bite attack
- Seek medical attention immediately. If the wound(s) require stitches or sutures request that a plastic surgeon perform the treatment. This may lessen the residual scarring.
- Contact local animal control and make a bite report. IMPORTANT! If you live in the Houston city limits call (713) 229-7300. If you live in Harris County call (281) 999-3191.
- Contact animal control if the dog is still loose and report the bite and that the dog is still on the loose
- Obtain the name, address and telephone number of all witnesses. If you know of anyone who has been bitten by the same dog, get their contact information
- Follow-up with a plastic surgeon to obtain an opinion on whether scar revision surgery should be performed.
How long do you have to file a lawsuit for a dog bite attack?
In Texas you have to file a lawsuit within two years from the date of the attack. If the attack involves a child you have to file a lawsuit within two years from the date of the attack to recover your medical expenses but other claims of the child may exist until the child turns 20 years old.
Contact Houston Dog Bite Lawyer
For a free consultation about your case call Hugh at 713.984.9848