Truck Accident Lawyer Houston
Hugh Howerton is a lawyer who specializes in trucking accident cases involving wrongful death and catastrophic injury. Hugh’s mission is to help his clients receive justice and to see that other innocent people are not harmed by dangerous truck drivers and trucking companies.
According to the latest figures by TXDOT 37 people were killed in Harris County accidents involving a commercial truck in 2015. In the same year 141 people suffered incapacitating injuries and 546 people suffered non-incapacitating injuries. In 2015 there were 5887 total accidents reported in Houston Harris County. That is a staggering 16 per day.
For help call 713.984.9848
What Is A Truck Accident Lawyer?
A special type of personal injury lawyer that has the skill and experience helping people hurt in 18-wheeler accidents. Not every personal injury lawyer can win a serious accident case.
They don’t know trucks or the laws associated with it or how to make companies pay for the harm their drivers cause. Don’t trust your future to just any lawyer. You can hire the best Houston truck accident lawyer for generally no more cost than an average lawyer. Hugh Howerton takes all cases on a contingency fee so if he does not win your case you owe him no attorney’s fees.
Truck accident lawyers understand the federal laws that apply to drivers and companies and how to use those laws to help you win your case.
How To Win
In order to win a truck accident case you have to prove that the driver and/or company was negligent. This means that the driver failed to act as a reasonable driver under the circumstances. There are various ways of proving the driver’s negligence.
- Did the driver violate one of the rules of the road as set for by the Texas Transportation Code?
- Did they rear end you by failing to keep an assured clear distance in violation of Texas Transportation Code Sec. 545.062
- Did they fail to yield the right-of-way in violation of Texas Transportation Code Sec. 545.101, 545.153
- Did they turn unsafely in violation of Texas Transportation Code Sec. 545.103
- Did they run a red light in violation of Texas Transportation Code Sec. 544.007
- Did they run a stop sign in violation of Texas Transportation Code Sec.544.010
- Did they cross the center line causing a head-on crash in violation of Texas Transportation Safety Code 545.056
When Should You Hire?
The simple and best answer is the day the accident happens. Usually right after an accident that has caused serious injury or wrongful death the company and its insurance company will send a special team to the accident scene usually the day it happens. You want your truck accident lawyer and their team of expert witness to be there with the insurance company’s team. The tractor and trailer need to be secured and immediately inspected so that there are no changes or repairs done to the tractor’s brakes, steering, light, and tires.
The trailer needs to be inspected and photographs taken of the accident scene that may show tire marks or skid marks on the road way before they are destroyed by weather. Most importantly, the event data recorder or black box must be preserved and properly downloaded before it is erased or destroyed. It can provide valuable evidence needed to win your truck accident case.
Event Data Recorder
Event data recorders aren’t actually black boxes but tiny microcomputer chip sets. They usually record 15 specific data points, including speed, steering, braking, acceleration, seatbelt use, and, in the event of a crash, force of impact and whether airbags deployed.
Most event data recorders are programmed to record data in a continuous loop until a truck is involved in an crash. When an accident occurs, the event data recorder automatically saves up to 5 seconds of data from immediately before, during and after an incident.
A good truck accident lawyer will download the EDR from the tractor of the 18-wheeler truck to find valuable evidence that can help win their client’s case against the truck driver and trucking company.
What Are Your Legal Rights Under Texas Law?
If you were injured or your spouse, child or parent was killed by the negligence of a truck driver or trucking company you are entitled to money damages for the following:
- Reasonable medical expenses both past and future
- Physical pain and mental anguish, both past and future
- Lost earning capacity both past and future
- Physical Impairment both past and future
- Physical Disfigurement both past and future
- Exemplary or punitive damages in appropriate cases
- Wrongful death and survival damages