Dog Bite Lawyer
Facts and Statistics
1. There are about 70 million dogs in the U.S.A. and 4.5 million people are bitten every year.
2. In 2013 one third of all home owner insurance claims involved aggressive canines
3. 359,223 children under 14 were bitten between 2010-2012
4 66% of children under 4 years of age were bitten to their head and neck
5. In 2013 there were 31 dog bite related deaths
What Is A Dog Bite Lawyer?
Were you bitten by a dog and need a lawyer to help you? Hugh Howerton is an attorney who serves McAllen, Laredo & Brownsville. A dog bite lawyer is a special type of personal injury lawyer that represents people in claims and lawsuits after being bitten by a dog. Hugh Howerton is a lawyer who specializes in dog bite cases and has won large settlements for his clients. America loves dogs. They have become part of the family. But when irresponsible dog owners allow their dogs to bite a person, especially a child, it can be devastating. Don’t try to go it alone.
If the dog owner had homeowner’s insurance coverage it may pay you money to compensate you for your injuries, medical bills and lost wages.
How Do You Win The Case?
In Texas there are several ways. First if the dog owner was negligent in the handling of their dog. Second, if the dog had dangerous propensities that the owner knew before you were attacked. For example, if the dog had bitten someone before your attack. However, just because you are bit by a dog does make the owners automatically liable for your injuries. Many times a dog owner’s home insurance carrier will pay the damages in these kind of cases.
What To Do After A Dog Attack?
- Seek medical attention immediately. If the wound(s) require stitches or sutures request that a plastic surgeon perform the treatment. This may lessen the residual scarring.
- Contact local animal control and make a bite report. IMPORTANT!
- Contact animal control if the dog is still loose and report the bite and that the dog is still on the loose
- Obtain the name, address and telephone number of all witnesses. If you know of anyone who has been bitten by the same dog, get their contact information
- Follow-up with a plastic surgeon to obtain an opinion on whether scar revision surgery should be performed.